1840-1860, Antique Russian''Style''


Antique Russian Antique Floral Bouquet Plaque Paperweight, circa 1840-1860
I've been searching for something practical and aesthetic to show to friends and co-workers. I was ecstatic when I thought I saw this beautiful piece of work... such flawless and meticulous craftsmanship. I wonder what was going through the artist's mind as he delicately put in his soul to perfectly preserving each flower petal, stem, leaf, sepal, stigma and anther in a frozen ballet of time. The countless hours and torturous labor involved must have been worth it, knowing that in the end, when all was said and done, he was going to end up with a finished paperweight.

I think I've even heard rumors that some people who practice Buddhism, pray that one day, they may have the privilege of being re-incarnated as a sheet of paper that might feel its awesome burden.

However, my joy had turned to sadness. Much to my chagrin, I decided to pass this up. The shipping charges are too ridiculously high for something so small.


0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

blozzz Copyright © 2010 Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License